Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Report Says Merck Vioxx Study Aimed at Marketing - WSJ.com

Free Preview Report Says Merck Vioxx Study Aimed at Marketing - WSJ.com: [Subscription required for full access]

"A 1999 clinical study that Merck & Co. said was done to test side effects of the painkiller Vioxx was, in fact, conducted primarily to support a marketing campaign before the drug's launch, according to a study being published Tuesday.

Researchers said their findings, based on internal Merck records disclosed during litigation, are among the first to document what many scientists suspect is a wider industry practice of using studies masquerading as clinical science to bolster marketing plans. Such behavior would raise ethical and scientific questions, from whether study participants were unknowingly -- and needlessly -- put in harm's way, ..."

More details from AMA Morning Rounds is here.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Tina Harris and i would like to show you my personal experience with Vioxx.

I am 40 years old. Have been on Vioxx for 6 months now. I had quit taking Vioxx long before the recall because it was the only new med introduced into my regimen at the time the symptoms started. I was told that if I continued to take it, I would be let go from my job because of inability to perform simple tasks.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
vertigo, diarrhea, abdominal pain, respiratory problems and memory loss. I still have memory loss and have gaps in my thinking process where I can't even think of common words I am trying to say, even to this day.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Tina Harris