Monday, November 9, 2009

A Christmas Carol's Social Justice Lessons...

Social Justice - Loyola Press:

Since Jim Carey's new "Christmas Carol" is number one at the box office, and we need to talk more about the moral case for health care reform in particular and with governing ourselves in general, I'm reposting this, from the Jesuits...

"In Charles Dickens's classic A Christmas Carol, Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by the spirit of his former business partner, Jacob Marley, who has come to alert Scrooge to the three spirits who will visit him in an attempt to save his soul. When Scrooge asks Marley why he is laden down with chains and irons, Marley explains that he is wearing the chains he “forged in life” as a punishment for not making better use of his time on earth. Scrooge protests, “But you were always a good man of business, Jacob.” To which Marley laments, “Business! . . . Mankind was my business! The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

There's more, and I thought it is still a nice Christmas message...

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An article about "the moral case for health care reform":

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/10/the_moral_case_for_health_care.html